Wednesday 12th March 2014, 4:30pm
Car park to remain open during
building of Seaton Jurassic
AS SEATON Jurassic moves a step closer to becoming a reality, capacity for parking at Harbour Road will be limited from mid June 2014 to allow building work to commence.
However throughout the building work 150 car parking spaces will remain.
The car parks are all owned and managed by East Devon District Council. Notices are now displayed on all three car parks giving the statutory notice of proposed changes to parking provision. This involves the closure of the short stay car park, reducing the number of spaces at the long stay car park and clarifying the location of the coach park.
Councillor Ian Thomas, EDDC Cabinet Member for Economy and Chairman of Seaton Regeneration Programme Board, said: “Seaton Jurassic is a massive opportunity for the town with the promise of major new investment leading to over 100 new jobs, through a huge boost to the tourism economy of Seaton and the lower Axe estuary.
“Clearly the loss of the car parks is something we will have to manage carefully to minimise any possible disruption to Seaton visitors during construction.
“We are ensuring that other car parking will be available during construction especially for those very few, specific events when the car parks are heavily used”.
Seaton Jurassic is the new visitor centre that will tell the uniquely powerful story of the geology and marine ecology of the Jurassic Coast, England’s first Natural World Heritage Site.
Following a £300,000 Coastal Communities Fund award announced last week, work will start on the centre in June with completion towards the end of 2015.
Seaton Jurassic has secured over £3 million of funding including £1.9 million from East Devon District Council and further contributions from Devon County Council and Seaton Town Council.
Once open, the unique new attraction will have 150 car parking spaces for visitors. Additional parking is also being created at the Colyford Road entrance to the Axe Valley Wetlands.
Wednesday 12th March 2014, 3:10pm
Dorset Police: Changes
to counter service put off
DORSET Police and the Police and Crime Commissioner are continuing to review counter service provision across the Force – with no changes anticipated until at least September 2015.
The decision to delay implementation of the proposals – which include the withdrawal of some station desk offices and reduced opening times at other locations – has been made following ongoing consultation with Dorset communities, which began last November.
Police and Crime Commissioner Martyn Underhill said: “When the Force and I asked the public to provide feedback, we made a commitment that we would carefully consider the views we received.
“From the wide range of alternative suggestions and the strength of feeling that we have encountered, it is clear that the Force and I need more time to take on board the information we have received. There is more work to be done before final decisions can be made and it’s important that this work isn’t hurried.”
The initial review of station desk enquiry offices had identified that they were an expensive and under-utilised resource. Figures show that one enquiry office in Dorset welcomed an average of just 5.2 visitors per day in 2012, despite being open seven hours a day, five days a week. At some stations only a small proportion of visits related to policing matters.
The proposals could save the Force in the region of £500,000 – the equivalent of 10 front line officers or 17 Police Community Support Officers.
In response to public feedback last year, the Force and PCC announced that Dorset Police would seek to retain a front counter provision in Bournemouth, Weymouth and North Dorset and that joint agency initiatives would be explored.
Chief Constable Debbie Simpson said: “I can reassure members of the public that no final decisions have been made regarding station desk office provision in Dorset.
“We are aware that one single approach may not suit all parts of the county and different solutions may be required in different areas. As this detail becomes clear, there will be further opportunities for communities to provide the Force and the PCC with their views and ideas for alternative ways to contact Dorset Police.
“However, Dorset Police is the fourth lowest spending Force in England and Wales and is faced with a very challenging budgetary situation, so difficult choices will need to be made.
“We are committed to providing the best possible service while reflecting true demand and value for money.”
The Force continues to ensure that there is a policing footprint in every town in Dorset and that suitable provisions are in place prior to any enquiry office closure.
A change to counter service provision in a town does not equate to the closure of the town’s police station
Recent surveys indicate that three-quarters of the public prefer to contact Dorset Police by telephone and improvements have already been made to the 101 non-emergency service. Work to improve Dorset Police’s online services is also underway.
Police and Crime Commissioner Martyn Underhill added: “I’d like to thank everyone who has contributed to the engagement process. Additional project work will now take place and I hope to provide a further update later this year.”
Selected photos from 2013/14 are available to purchase online here